Jon S. Olson
Main Areas of Practice:
Jon concentrates his employer-side practice in three areas: (1) labor law, where he deals with collective bargaining, strike, impasse and picket line planning, employer/union transitions and double-breasting or dual shop planning, and defense of unfair labor practice claims; (2) litigation involving unfair labor practice and other statutory and employment based claims; and (3) strategic and legal compliance planning, including union avoidance planning. He proceedings litigation and compliance before the National Labor Relations Board, Department of Labor and other regulatory proceedings, state and federal, and advises employers on a full range of HR, employee relations planning, litigation management, risk avoidance and compliance issues.
Jon has represented employers in numerous employment and labor-related cases in state and federal court, and before the National Labor Relations Board and the U.S. Department of Labor, and equivalent state agencies. Among these are a successful case nullifying a St. Paul City Ordinance which created improper business obstacles to merit shop contractors, Standard Heating, et. al. v. City of St. Paul, and major cases limiting unfair labor practice remedies at the National Labor Relations Board, including NLRB v. Waymouth Farms, and NLRB v. Parents in Community Action which defeated an NLRB petition for a temporary injunction, and established the Eighth Circuit standard for issuance of such injunctions.
Jon has authored multiple articles in Peters, Revnew, Kappenman & Anderson, P.A.’s LawFacts legal alert, including:
- Are You Prepared for the Employee Free Choice Act? (March 2009)
- Obama’s NLRB Approves Union Bannering Tactics (September 2010)
- Lame-Duck Democrats Make Last Minute Attempt to Pass Employer Damaging Bill (November 2010)
- Protected Facebook Activity Under the NLRA (December 2010)
- New FLSA Regulations Published (April 2011)
- Employers May Be Subject to Quickie Union Elections in 2012 (December 2011)
Speaking Engagements / Presentations:
Jon speaks regularly at trade associations, including Minnesota and North Dakota Associated Builders and Contractors, and the Printing Industry of the Midwest, and at Peters, Revnew, Kappenman & Anderson, P.A.’s Upper Midwest Labor Law Forum. He has also spoken at Continuing Legal Education conferences including the Employment Law from A to Z in Minnesota Lorman Educational Services seminar.
- State of Minnesota/MN Supreme Court (October 1997)
- U.S. District Court – District of Minnesota (1998)
- U.S. Court of Appeals – Eight Circuit (1998)
- Hamline University School of Law, St. Paul, MN (JD)
- St. Olaf College, Northfield, MN (BA Political Science)